Frozen blocks of spinach are ideal for camping: they’re basically an ice pack for your cooler, but you can eat them! Really ideal. Especially when you make this super-fast and satisfying dip that uses just a few ingredients. As for those optional add-ins, definitely make the most of what you’ve got: any sort of leftover would be good chopped up and folded in. Think hotdogs, or cooked chicken or leftover breakfast meats.
- 1 block frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 block cream cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ cup cheese, shredded (optional)
- Canned artichokes, chopped (optional)
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Cooked bacon, chopped (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Baguette or crackers
- Build a fire and let it burn down until you have a few flames and a solid bed of coals. Place grill over coals and let the grill heat up for a few minutes. Using your hands, firmly squeeze out all the liquid from the spinach. Mash together spinach, cream cheese and garlic (and any other optional add-ins), and season to taste with salt and pepper. Wrap in a foil packet, making sure the edges are well sealed.
- Place the foil packet on the grill and cook until you begin to hear the packet sizzle, about 8 minutes. Move packet to a cooler portion of the grill and let cook for another 5 minutes. Carefully open the package and serve with bread or crackers.