Creamed spinach on toast
Creamed spinach is a great side dish, but can also be a full meal if you top it with an egg and serve it on some thick sliced bread. This version streamlines the process by using cream cheese instead of any sort of milk/flour combination. While eggs are listed as optional, they’re highly recommended, especially if you’re looking to make this a light meal.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 300 grams of frozen spinach, thawed
- ½ cup cream cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices of bread, toasted
- 2 eggs (optional)
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When melted, add the garlic and onions and cook until soft. When soft, add thawed spinach and cook for 5 minutes, then add cream cheese and mix until well-combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place one slice of toast on each plate, then divide creamed spinach on top of each slice of toast. Top with a fried egg if desired.