This sandwich/pizza hybrid, stuffed with anchovy and salami, is a perfect riverside snack when you’re feeling a bit famished and the fish haven’t been biting.
- 1 loaf French bread
- 1 213-ml can pizza sauce
- 125 g salami, sliced
- 1 320-g bag shredded cheese
- Pinch of dried oregano
- Pinch of red-pepper flakes
- Anchovy filets (optional)
- Salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- Hot sauce, optional
- Have two pieces of foil on hand. Slice bread in a cross-hatch pattern, ¾ of the way through the loaf. Spread pizza sauce into slices, followed by salami, then shredded cheese. Sprinkle with oregano and red-pepper flakes. Top with anchovy filets and season with salt and pepper, then wrap loaf with foil so that the top piece of foil is easily removable.
- Build a fire and let it burn down until you have a few flames and a solid bed of coals. Place grill over coals and let the grill heat up for a few minutes.
- Place the foil-wrapped loaf on the grill and toast for about 25 minutes (longer if your fire is low).
Cross-hatch the bread almost all the way through, and stuff it as full as you can!