Yield: 2 or 4
Stuffed Morel Mushrooms in Cream Sauce
There will be some filling leftover for other dishes—pasta would be amazing, or small tarts or empanadas made with a cream cheese pastry. You could also just stuff more mushrooms!
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 10 to 12 dried medium-sized morels
- 1 lb ground pork
- 3 tbsp breadcrumbs (if needed)
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp dried chillies
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 12 large dried morels for stuffing
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Dash soya sauce or Bragg’s
- In separate bowls, soak the medium and large morels in hot water to cover for 30 minutes. Remove morels from the water, squeezing to extract all the liquid. Reserve 1 cup soaking water, refrigerating the rest for stock or soup. Roughly chop the medium-sized mushrooms.
- Leave the large ones whole, but slice off enough of the stem to give you good access to the interior. Chop the stems and add to the other chopped mushrooms.
- Sauté onion in oil and butter over medium heat until soft—about 5 minutes. Add garlic and chopped morels. Cook for a further 3 to 4 minutes. Add 1 cup soaking liquid and simmer until all the liquid has evaporated.
- Add pork and cook until browned, breaking up clumps with a fork. Stir in nutmeg and chillies. If the pork is fatty (never a bad thing), add breadcrumbs as necessary to absorb the fat.
- Add white wine and cook until fully absorbed, then add cream and cook until thick. Stir in salt and pepper to taste. Stir in grated parmesan. Let cool for about 15 minutes.
- Using a teaspoon, spoon filling lightly into each mushroom, filling it to the brim but not stuffing so hard the mushroom breaks.
- Melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat. When sizzling, add the stuffed mushrooms. Sauté on each side just until browned, then pour in wine, cream and soya sauce or Bragg’s. Simmer until sauce has thickened to the consistency of a béchamel.
- Serve immediately over pasta or rice with more Parmesan over top.