It’s chilly out, and that means anything and everything creamy. If you’re looking to make this less of a side dish and more of a meal, add some blanched pasta to the cauliflower, or try topping the cauliflower bake with a couple of sunny-side-up eggs. Serve it alongside a side of super crisp toast and a green salad.
- 1 small cauliflower, chopped
- 6 tbsp butter, divided
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- Set oven at 400 F. Toss cauliflower with 2 tbsp melted butter and pinch of red pepper flakes and bake until cauliflower is browned, about 20 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, melt an additional 2 tbsp butter is a small saucepan, add flour and mix until a thick paste forms. Add the milk to the flour mixture, ½ cup at a time, whisking until smooth between each addition. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside until cauliflower is roasted.
- Melt the last 2 tbsp of butter in a small saute pan. When melted add chopped garlic and cook until garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the breadcrumbs and toss in the butter until breadcrumbs begin to darken and toast, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- When ready to serve, top the roasted cauliflower with the cream sauce, then top with toasted breadcrumbs and serve.
Top with cream sauce