- 2 packets unflavoured gelatin
- ⅓ cup cold water
- 4 cups (1 quart) half and half cream
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped fresh pineapple
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water and let sit until gelatin has absorbed all the water, about 10 minutes.
- In a pot combine half and half cream, honey, sugar and vanilla extract and place over medium high heat and stir often until just a bit of steam is coming off the half and half, then pour over bloomed gelatin and whisk until gelatin is fully melted and smooth.
- Divide milk mixture between 6 containers and let sit until set, at least two hours but ideally overnight. Serve topped with chopped pineapple.
Although I’ve spent most of my career around sweets and pastries, I don’t often eat dessert. And yet whenever I see panna cotta on a menu I always order it because of how simple and satisfying it is. Panna cotta is sweetened milk set with gelatin to give it an almost pudding-like consistency.
It’s a great dessert for a dinner party because it’s best when made a day in advance. Think of it as an adult pudding cup. Feel free to change up the fruit to whatever fits your fancy, or top it with chocolate sauce if you’re feeling really decadent.