Bison Dan Dan Noodles
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 5 green onions, finely sliced
- 1 ½ pounds ground bison
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp chili oil
- 1 pound fresh noodles
- ½ cup roasted peanuts, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, heat the canola oil until shimmering, then add garlic, ginger and half the green onions and cook until fragrant – about 2 minutes. Add the bison and continue to cook until bison is no longer pink, about 8 minutes.
- In a bowl whisk together peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar and chili oil until fully combined.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook noodles until they begin float and are cooked through. Drain and add the noodles and half the chopped peanuts to cooked bison, tossing until noodles and bison are well combined. Pour peanut butter mixture over noodles and toss until everything is coated, season to taste with salt and serve topped with remaining peanuts and green onions.
There are a lot of great things about peanut butter, but until you’ve had it spiked with chili oil and mixed with fresh noodles you haven’t really experienced peanut butter’s full potential.
This fast dish is a great weeknight meal, and a new twist on the classic pasta and ground meat combination. I like to use bison for this recipe, but you could really use any sort of ground meat.
The Superstore and Wykes’ Your Independent Grocer have packages of fresh Asian noodles in the refrigerator section, next to the tofu.