Kind of a stew, kind of hearty side dish - this simple one pot dinner can easily be made into a hearty meal by serving with a big scoop of boiled white rice. Some people find okra challenging because of its texture, but if it’s a vegetable you’re trying to incorporate give this recipe a try. Stewing the okra takes away some of that squishiness some people can find disconcerting by melding it into the rest of the ingredients.
- 4 sausages, cases removed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups sliced okra
- 1 chili pepper, chopped (optional)
- 2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, fry the sausage until fully cooked and brown, about 7 minutes. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon leaving remaining fat in the pan. Rest the sausage on a plate. Place the skillet back on the heat and add onions, cook until onions are soft, about 4 minutes. Then add okra, chili flakes, tomatoes, and stock and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until okra is soft, about 20 minutes.
- Return sausage to the pan, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve topped with chopped parsley and hot sauce