These egg rolls would make great party food, and if you have the time to make a double batch, freeze a few for a day when you don’t feel like cooking.
If you have a deep fryer and feel like firing it up feel free, but cooking these in a hot oven has always seemed like an easier choice to me.
- ¼ c vegetable oil, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 lb ground meat (moose, bison, caribou, etc.)
- 1 c cheese spread (Cheez Whiz is perfect)
- 1 pkg egg rolls wrappers
- 1 egg beaten
- Set oven at 425ºF and line a baking sheet. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a sauté pan over medium high heat, cook the onion and pepper until beginning to soften then add ground meat. Cook until meat is fully browned and the pan is dry, about 10 minutes. Add cheese and allow to cool.
- Place a heaping spoonful of filling in the centre of the egg roll wrapper and brush the edges with beaten egg. Fold the side over the filling then roll the remaining filling up in the wrapper. Brush with oil and repeat until you’ve used all the filling and wrappers.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove egg rolls from oven and carefully flip each one. Return to the oven until fully browned, about another 10 minutes. Serve with all your favourite condiments.
Ingredients for filling
Add the whiz!
Make sure to seal the egg rolls well
Brush with oil