- 3 strips of thick cut bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 cups chopped fresh okra
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp chicken bouillon powder
- In a Dutch oven, over medium-high heat, add the bacon, onion and garlic and cook until onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the okra and rice and toss until combined. Add water and chicken bouillon and bring to a simmer. Set heat to low and cover, let simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is soft.
- Once rice is soft, season to taste with salt and pepper.
Okra is gooey (just accept that gooey is a nice quality and embrace it). This rice dish stews okra and rice, with bacon, and uses the goo to make a rich filling side that would go well with braised meats and any sort of spicy barbecue sauce.
Serves 4 as a side.