Tacos are ideal for camping because you don’t really need a plate or utensils to eat them. And if you mix the sauce before you leave, there’s really minimal prep for your taco camping feast. You could even buy a bag of pre-sliced coleslaw mix and have it do a bit of double duty on your trip.
- 2 steaks, about 1 pound each
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- Sliced scallions, to garnish
- Chopped cilantro, to garnish
- Sliced cabbage, to garnish
- 1 package small tortillas
- Build a fire and let it burn down until you have a few flames and a solid bed of coals. Place grill over coals and let the grill heat up for a few minutes. Season the steak with salt and pepper. Mix together hoisin, sriracha, and oyster sauce.
- Place the steaks on the grill and sear until just beginning to brown, then flip and brush with sauce. Flip again and let the sauce caramelize on the grill. Cook until desired doneness—about 3 minutes per side for a medium-rare steak. Remove from the grill and brush with sauce.
- Place tortillas on the grill and toast over the fire until just beginning to brown.
- Let the steak sit for 5 minutes before slicing and serving on toasted tortillas topped with scallions, cilantro and sliced cabbage.
Grill steaks without sauce, at first, to get some smoke flavour and a bit of char