AKA Elena Ruz Sandwich, this is the lesser known version of the classic Cuban sandwich. The true version is made with sliced turkey, but using ham gives the sandwich a bit more salt, which is a welcome contrast to the sweet strawberry preserve.
Toasted Ham, Cream Cheese And Strawberry Preserve
- 1 Kaiser or brioche roll, halved
- 150g sliced ham (or turkey)
- 1 slab cream cheese (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 Tbsp strawberry preserve
- Split the roll and build the sandwich, with cream cheese on one side and ham (or turkey) on the other, and strawberry preserve in the middle.
- Close the sandwich and toast on either side until the bread is crisp but the cream cheese is still cold. Slice in half and serve.