No breading and a quick pan fry makes this eggplant parmesan quick and easy enough for a weeknight dinner. This makes a really great sandwich on crusty bread, or can be served with some spaghetti or macaroni tossed with olive oil and salt.
- 1 large eggplant, sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup vegetable oil, divided
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 1 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 213 ml (1 small tin) tomato sauce
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella, sliced
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Toss the sliced eggplant with salt and let sit in a strainer until the eggplant begins to sweat, about 20 minutes. Press dry with paper towel.
- Heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Working in batches, brown the sliced eggplant adding tablespoons of oil to the pan between batches when needed. Reserve browned eggplant on a plate.
- In a bowl, mix together cream cheese, heavy cream and oregano. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat boiler to high. Place a layer of browned eggplant along the bottom of an ovenproof dish. Dot cream cheese mixture onto eggplant, then place another layer of eggplant on top. Repeat with eggplant and cream cheese mixture until all of them are used. Top eggplant with tomato sauce, followed by sliced mozzarella and grated parmesan cheese. Broil until brown and bubbly. Serve with thick cut bread or spaghetti.