If you have never actually used a fresh steamed pumpkin when baking, rather than buying cans of pumpkin, I might suggest you give it a try. It’s a little more work, but well worth the effort. Here are a few suggestions for baking pumpkin treats.
- 1 ¼ cup graham cracker crumbs
- ½ cup finely chopped pecans
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ cup cold milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ scalded milk
- ⅓ tsp ground ginger
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup table cream
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 14 ounces pumpkin
- 6 ice cubes ( about 1 cup)
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar and pecans. Stir in melted butter. Reserve ¼ mixture for garnish. Press remainder into 10-inch pie plate.
- Bake at 375 F for 5 minutes. Cool.
- In blender, sprinkle gelatin over cold milk and let stand until gelatin is moistened. Add scalded milk. Cover and process at high speed until gelatin dissolves, about 2 minutes.
- Add brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, ginger and table cream. Cover and process at high speed for about one minute.
- Add pumpkin and proceed at high speed for about 20 seconds, or until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Remove center top cover and, with blender still running, add ice cubes one at a time. Process at high speed until ice is melted.
- Allow to stand for 10 minutes to thicken mixture. Turn into cooled pie shell. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Chill until set. This should make about 8 servings.