- 4 Tbsp butter, divided
- 2 small bulbs of fennel, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 chicken livers
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- ¼ cup sherry
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 head lettuce
- Chopped parsley, to garnish
- Melt half the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once melted, add the sliced fennel and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook until fennel is soft, about 6 minutes, then remove the fennel from the pan and return the pan to the heat. Melt the remaining butter, then add chicken livers to the pan and cook until just beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Flip and continue to cook until desired doneness, about another 3 minutes for pink centres. Remove from heat and let the chicken livers rest while you make the dressing.
- Return the pan to the heat and add the chopped shallots. When the shallots have begun to soften, deglaze the pan by adding sherry and the balsamic vinegar. Bring to a simmer and reduce the liquid by half. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To assemble the salad, divide the lettuce between 4 plates, then top each pile of lettuce with fennel. Slice the chicken livers and place on top of the fennel, then drizzle each plate with the sherry balsamic dressing and top with parsley.
Bulb of fennel, remove the fronds and just use the sliced bulb for this salad
Remember to season to taste