In old Yukon, many a miner survived the winter with a sack of rice and a bag of beans.
With escalating food prices, we may be wise to follow suit.
While rice and beans by themselves lack certain amino acids, combined together in the same meal however, amino acids lacking in one are present in the other.
While rice and beans each lack certain amino acids, combined together in the same meal, amino acids lacking in one are present in the other. Thus, combining rice and beans yields a complete protein of high biological value. This means that our body can make and repair cell tissue, which is protein’s big job.
The mixture of squash, carrots and sweet potatoes results in a lovely array of orange fall colours. Add black beans to the mix and you have Halloween hues for a harvest supper.
Use parchment paper when roasting the vegetables as this will result in a more-tender product and a much faster clean-up.
Black Beans, Rice and Roasted Vegetables
Carrots, peeled and halved
½ acorn squash, peeled and cut into four pieces
1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into four pieces
6 shallots, peeled and halved if large, leave whole if small
6 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup long grain rice
1 cup water
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon olive oil
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ white onion, chopped
1 can of 19 ounces/540 ml black beans, drained and rinsed
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cumin
Fresh ground black pepper
• Pre-heat oven to 425F.
• Place a piece of parchment paper inside a large roasting or baking sheet.
• In a large bowl, toss prepared carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, shallots and garlic in the two tablespoons of olive oil.
• Stir to thoroughly coat.
• Place coated vegetables on prepared baking sheet.
• Roast in 425F oven for 25 minutes.
• Remove from oven and set aside.
• Meanwhile, cook ½ cup rice in one cup of water with ¼ teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of olive oil for about 15 minutes or until almost all water has been absorbed.
• Set aside.
• In wok or large skillet, heat one tablespoon of olive oil and sauté the chopped onion for about three minutes or until translucent.
• Add the drained and rinsed black beans to the wok.
• Sauté one minute.
• Add the cooked rice into the wok.
• Sauté one minute.
• Cut up the roasted vegetables into one-inch cubes. Add to onions and black beans in wok and sauté one minute.
• Chop the roasted garlic and add into the wok.
• Season with one teaspoon of cumin, ½ teaspoon of salt and fresh ground pepper.
• Serve hot.