In old Klondike days, about the time of spring break-up, often all that was left in the cabin
larder was a bag of rice.
With a few weathered, withered and dried vegetables, even a prospector or miner could rustle up the vittles in a stir-fry like this.
We have it much easier now.
Colourful and quick, this rice dish is a great family meal. Vary the vegetables as to what you have on hand. Add chicken or, if you prefer, substitute tofu or cooked salmon.
Kids will love this easy-to-fix dish. It makes a great lunch to pack the next day.
Vegetable and Rice Stir Fry
1 cup raw basmati rice
2 cups water
1 teaspoon vegetable or olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 carrots, peeled and diced
2 stalks celery, sliced on the diagonal
½ red pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
4 green onions, sliced
1/3 cup orange juice concentrate
¼ cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons liquid honey
1 cup steamed spinach, chopped
1 cup zucchini, diced
Fresh black pepper to taste
- Soak the basmati rice in enough water to cover. Let sit about 15 minutes.
- Strain the rice, wash and transfer into a saucepan.
- Add 2 cups water, 1 teaspoon oil, ½ teaspoon salt and stir.
- Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove cooked rice from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a wok, heat oil.
- Add the carrots, celery, red pepper and garlic and cook for about three minutes.
- Add cooked rice to wok and stir to combine.
- Add cooked, diced chicken and green onions.
- Add in orange juice, soy sauce and honey.
- Add in the spinach and zucchini.
- Add a good cranking of fresh black pepper.
- Serve hot.
Yield 4 servings