Yukon Gold potatoes, as fresh baby nuggets or mature full size, are wonderful for this
delicious, warm salad. Paired with fresh apple and Camembert cheese, this dish celebrates the good old potato.
Yukon Gold potatoes have a firm texture, yellowy “golden” colour and grow very well in our cooler Northern climate.
If you are not a gardener yourself, it is gratifying to see these locally grown spuds on our supermarket shelves both in the fall and throughout the winter months.
If you are a grower of spuds and have some hanging around in cold storage, now is the time to use them up.
Yukon Gold Potato Salad
4 Yukon Gold potatoes or 20 new “baby” Yukon Gold potatoes (to equal about 1 pound)
1 fresh apple, cored and chopped into cubes (leave peel on)
2 tablespoons green onions, finely chopped
¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
1 cup Camembert cheese (125-gram package) cut into ¼-inch cubes
• Cook potatoes in a pot of boiling, salted water for about 15 to 20 minutes or until just knife tender. Do not overcook.
• Drain potatoes and let cool.
• Peel older potatoes if desired, but leave potato peels on new babies.
• In a large bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients.
• Cube or cut the cooled potatoes into half-inch pieces.
• Gently toss the cubed potatoes with the dressing.
• Add in the chopped apple, green onions, red onion and Camembert cheese.
• Toss gently and taste to adjust seasoning.
• Enjoy as a warm salad or serve at room temperature.
Yield = 5 cups