When a prolonged winter continues cold, colder and coldest, one can counter with thoughts
and tastes of the sunny South. Here is a muffin, loaded with tropical flavour to help you get through the grip of winter.
The “white stuff”, coconut, adds fibre and an interesting texture, while canned pineapple adds moisture to these marvelous muffins.
Meanwhile, your kitchen will have the enticing scent of the tropics to welcome the hungry hordes in from the snow.
Pina Colada Muffins
½ cup granulated sugar
2 cups crushed and drained pineapple (one 398-ml can)
1 cup low-fat yogurt
½ cup melted butter or margarine
1 tablespoon coconut extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsweetened coconut
• Into a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar.
• Add in the crushed, drained pineapple, yogurt, melted butter/margarine and coconut extract.
• In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, soda, salt and coconut.
• Add the dry ingredients all at once into the wet ingredients, mixing until well-blended.
• Portion into greased or paper-lined muffin tins.
• Bake in a pre-heated 400F oven for about 15 minutes or until a pick inserted comes out clean.
• Enjoy warm or wrap individually and freeze for packed lunches.
Yields 12 muffins.