We’re heading into root vegetable season, and with the local school vegetable fundraiser on our doorsteps again, here’s a quick easy way to use up some of your potatoes and beets that feels a bit fancier than just a simple roast.
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 potatoes, thinly sliced
- 3 small (or one large) beets, peeled and thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Set oven at 400 F. Melt 1 tbsp butter in a cast-iron skillet, then remove skillet from heat. Layer slices of potato, alternating with slices of beets until the bottom of the pan is covered. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then dot with half the remaining butter. Continue to cover the pan with alternating slices of beets and potatoes, dotting with butter and seasoning with salt and pepper until all the slices are in the pan.
- Place in the oven and roast for 25 minutes, or until beets are soft and potatoes are beginning to brown. Allow to cool, then slice and serve.