- 2 cups chopped pepperoni
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 340 grams sliced squid rings
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 7 oz crushed tomatoes
- Large pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 250 grams bucatini
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the pepperoni until fat begins to render and pepperoni starts to crisp, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add squid rings, red wine, crushed tomatoes and crushed red pepper flakes (if using). Bring to a simmer.
- Cook uncovered for 15 minutes, or until squid is tender and sauce has reduced. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook bucatini according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup of cooking liquid and drain pasta.
- Toss pasta with sauce, loosening with pasta water if necessary. Adjust seasoning to taste if necessary and serve.
Frying chopped pepperoni
Reducing the sauce
Adding the cooked bucatini