- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 0.5 kg ground pork
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups finely sliced green cabbage
- 12 rice paper roll wrappers
- Chopped fresh herbs, to garnish
- Place half the sugar in a pot and place pan over medium-high heat. When sugar begins to brown, add pork and continue to cook until sugar and pork are both fully cooked and brown, about 6 minutes.
- Add salt, black pepper, garlic, ginger, fish sauce, chopped onion and remaining sugar. Continue to cook until meat is dark brown, onions are cooked, and all the liquid is reduced, about 10 minutes. Allow pork to cool, then toss with sliced cabbage.
- Place a bowl of hot water from the tap next to your work surface. Dip a rice paper into the hot water until it begins to soften. Place on a cutting board. Add two tablespoons of pork and cabbage mixture to the center of the rice paper, then fold sides over and roll into a spring roll. Repeat with remaining ingredients and serve with chopped herbs.
Pork and aromatics cooked in caramel
Pork and cabbage
Ready to roll