- 2 Tbsp butter, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 to 1½ pound sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- ⅓ cup water
- Salt and pepper
- Canola oil, for frying
- 4 eggs
- Hot sauce
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a non-stick skillet over medium high heat, add chopped onion and cook until translucent, then add cubed sweet potato and toss to combine. Add water and cover pan with a lid. Cook until water has evaporated and sweet potato is soft, about 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and add last tablespoon of butter. Cook stirring often, until sweet potato begins to brown in spots, remove hash from pan and keep warm while you cook the eggs.
- Add a drizzle of canola oil to the non-stick pan and heat over high heat. Break eggs into pan and fry until whites are set and crispy and yolks are runny. Top hash with eggs and serve with hot sauce.
The second addition of onion helps the sweet potato to brown a bit.