The Best Venison Steak
- 2 large venison steaks
- 1-½ cups water
- ½ cup dry wine
- ½ pkg. onion soup mix
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp cornstarch in ¼ cup of water
Melt butter in Dutch oven or a large, deep frying pan, brown the venison and remove. Add water, wine, onion soup mix and carrots. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook until tender. Add meat and thicken with cornstarch and water, simmer until meat is cooked and tender (about one hour).
Moose Pot Roast
1 weighed moose roast, 1 pkg. onion soup. Be sure to trim all the fat and tissue from roast. Place in a roaster, cover with all ingredients. Roast covered for 20 minutes per pound at 350F. Bate occasionally. Gradually add 1 cup of sherry during basting.
Hunter’s Moose Pot Roast
- ½ tsp ginger 2 sliced white onions
- 1 tsp. nutmeg 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp cinnamon ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp salt ½ cup white vinegar
- 1/8 tsp pepper ½ cup water
- 4-lb moose roast 4 bay leaves
- 2 tsp shortening
Combine the first five ingredients and rub into roast, making sure to cover the entire roast. Sear well in shortening. Add remaining ingredients and cook for approximately 3 hours at 350F.
Barbecue Bear Tenderloin
- About a 3–4 lb bear tender loin
- Preparing a sauce:
- ¾ cup white vinegar ¼ tsp pepper
- ¾ cup catsup 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup water ¼ tsp. Tabasco sauce
- 1 white onion chopped 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove minced 1 tsp dry mustard.
- 1 tsp. salt
Slice meat to ½ inch pieces and cook for 30 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 350F. At the same time, mix the sauce ingredients together and cook for 25 minutes at medium heat. Pour liquid off meat. Cover with sauce and cook for 1 hour.
Roast Shoulder of Bear
- 5-8 pounds of bear shoulder meat. 3 whole garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp bacon drippings 2 crushed bay leaves
- 2 large white onions 1 cup beef stock
- 3 strips of celery with leaves 1 cup red wine.
- 1 carrot peeled salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
Heat bacon drippings in large skillet. Brown meat on all sides. Season with salt and pepper in roasting pan. Add vegetables and herbs. Add liquids. Cover lightly and bake in oven at 225F oven for 8 hours. Do not uncover during cooking time. When done, remove roast to a heated platter. Strain stock, discarding vegetables and herbs. Skim fat off stock and thicken with gravy. This will make about 8 servings.
Trapper’s Beaver Roast
- 1-½ cup melted butter
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 cup orange marmalade
Strip beaver of all fat. Cut inside of legs and remove sinews. Soak overnight, then parboil twice in fresh water to remove all fat. Roast at 300F for about 1-½ hours. Baste with sauce A or sauce B. If using sauce B, just before roast is finished, baste with 1 cup orange marmalade.
Beaver and muskrat are very enjoyable, tasty meats. Please do not leave to waste. Sit family down end enjoy.