I sit on the 10K seat. For the first time in my life, I travelled middle class and it’s pretty cool, I have to admit! Tons of space for my legs, despite the big bag at my feet, and even more attentive hostesses.

This was Condor’s last flight of the summer, the plane was half empty, I had a second seat to myself, and that’s even cooler!

At 4 p.m. the plane took off from Frankfurt. I was a little less stressed than on my first plane (thrilling, but no sweaty hands… small victory!)

As soon as the cruising altitude was reached, the first meal was served. It’s 4:52 p.m… Each time I have a long flight, I have the feeling I’m forced to eat (or that I turned into a hobbit, like Pippin and his second, or his third dinners)! I tried to taste it while watching The Big Short, but I wasn’t captivated, so I switched to Kung Fu Panda 3. Much better!

Between my book, my two little naps, two more meals, and the flight over Greenland – during which I was in complete bliss – the time passed relatively quickly because it was already time for landing. Some turbulences, quickly forgotten thanks to magnificent views of the great spaces that I came to look for, and here we were, on Canadian ground! Now, serious things could begin: off to customs to validate my Working Holiday Visa.

A fellow named “Dan” welcomed me for my entry into the territory. By a lucky chance, he spoke French. I realized fairly quickly that it wasn’t ordinary for Whitehorse customs officers to receive “clients” for a Working Holiday Visa, especially when he asked me to go downtown to the federal office the next day to get my working permit. It bothered me at the time, because I didn’t have a car yet and also because my hosts live 45 minutes out of town. (I learned later that this was a pretty common distance for Yukon!) I answered that I wasn’t in a hurry since my “driver” couldn’t pick me up until 7 p.m. So Dan replied: “Get your luggage, wait and as soon as all the passengers of your flight have entered the territory, I’ll take care of your visa.”

My suitcase arrived and I waited. Finally, Dan beckoned me to follow him. He collected all my documents and disappeared into his office. From there began a long wait… He ended up coming back, a little annoyed because he wouldn’t be able to deliver my Working Holiday Visa today.

My record was complete and presented no problem, but because of new software, he ticked a box he shouldn’t have, and to correct it he needed the intervention of a visa officer, who didn’t work this Sunday.

So, Dan suggested that I go downtown to the federal office the next day (back to the starting point). I waited an hour and a half in the immigration offices for nothing in the end – even if I did have nothing better to do…

In an empty airport, I waited a little more than an hour: Marcelle arrived shortly before 7:30 p.m. and on my way to Alayuk – a tourism and competition kennel on Annie Lake Road.