- 1 egg, beaten
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6–8 okra, tops removed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup coarse cornmeal
- 1 cup olive oil, for frying
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1–3 Tbsp hot sauce
- Season the egg with salt and pepper. Working in batches, coat each piece of okra with egg mixture, then with cornmeal.
- Heat oil in a small pan over medium-high heat (when the end of a wooden spoon placed in the hot oil - and it bubbles, the oil is has reached the correct temperature.
- Frying a few pieces at a time, cook the okra until the cornmeal is brown (about 1–2 minutes per side). Remove from the oil and drain on a paper towel, then repeat with remaining okra.
Mix together mayonnaise and hot sauce (to taste), for dipping, and serve alongside the fried okra.